Friday, November 24, 2006

10th Annual Thanksgiving at the Farm

The Sanders family has a tradition of spending Thanksgiving at a beautiful farm in Roundtop, TX that is owned by Jonathan's cousins, Bill and Shannon Rademacher. Our friends, Colin and Lynsey Ross from Scotland joined us to have another Thanksgiving experience while being in the states. I have come to appreciate this holiday yesterday, not only by taking in the country scenery, but by watching people interacting from all walks of life. Thanksgiving is a unique holiday because it really brings people together without any religious divisiveness. In the heart of it is food, one thing everyone can appreciate, joined with community. A perfect combination. Truly, I belive God is honored by us "loving our neighbor".

Keegan was passed around from arms to arms, kissed on, played with, and loved on. He was on his best behavior, and really not one person believed that he ever cried. The guys played horse shoes and girls talked on the sideline. (pretending to be cheerleaders but all the while had a better time having a conversation about something else...women are really good at this one.) We went with Lynsey and Colin down the road to this turkey made out of a barrel of hay. (look at the picture below) We decided that it would be fun to take pictures on it. It was not a very pleasant experience at first for our Scottish friends because they were introduced very informally to Texas stickers. I think Lynsey was still finding them on her rear end when we left that night. It was pretty humorous watching everyone run and jump on to the turkey. We ended the night by sitting by the fire, talking and dosing off due to the full stomachs.

I had a first on this Thanksgiving, and think it will be my last as well. I went skeet shooting. I have always despised guns and been scared of them. I thought if I handled one, I just might erase my fears. Once I had that gun in my hands I realized the power it gives people. I did not like that I had the capability to really harm someone. Jonathan helped me out by telling me where to place the gun on my shoulder and I breathed deep and shot at the clay pigeon. I missed by a long shot because I had my eyes closed I am sure. So, I guess you will never see me in camo holding game. It is just not me.

This Thanksgiving was very unique and memorable! Can't wait till the next year we will be there when I will be chasing Keegan all over the fields!

Our Thanksgiving table

My first and ONLY attempt

Us on the giant turkey

Colin and Lynsey

Colin trying to climb the turkey

Keegan with Aunt Char

Trying to get Keegan to smile for a family picture

Leigh and Bill on the "Gator"

Laura with Mae's new puppy Nicky

Keegan with cousin Mike who is 6 foot 9!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
It looks like y'all had a great Thanksgiving! I'm proud of you for at least trying to shoot a gun...I've never done that. I'm looking forward to seeing you and Keegan on Thursday. And I'm so glad that you have a blog now so I can keep up with you! I might have to start one too.
Love you!
Melissa

Janelle and Ella said...

Love that giant turkey!! It made for some really cute pictuers! And that picture of you shooting a gun was cracking me up!

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
The picture of you & Jonathan at the farm (making Keegan laugh)is indicative of your family relationship. It is so precious! I look forward to see you all again in a few weeks.
Love,
Laura

amberburger said...

YAH! michelle has a blog! i saw it on amanda's! well i am excited to keep up with you! i have a xanga, myspace and facebook...i am a big blog nerd. we have a blogspot for our sudan journeys if you want to look and comment! www.sudanskids.blogspot.com